Monday, June 3, 2013

It's the fire life for me

You know, I've been asked if I really am ok with what my husband does for a living.  Um, yeah I am.  I mean seriously, how many women get to say their husbands are superheroes?  Ok, maybe not super hero, but definitely hero.

Think about it.  Can most women say definitively that their spouse would die for them?  Or for anyone that needed them?  We all give lip service to "I'd die for you", but really?  Not many men have that kind of courage.  Mine does.

Sure, there are sacrifices that go with that.  And days/nights of worry when he is on duty or goes out on a call.  And there are holidays that get designated to different days on the calendar because he's on duty.  And there are risks.  And, and, and.....

But really, it's amazing to be married to a man that has that kind of courage.  That kind of honor.  That kind of willingness to sacrifice for others.

Yep, it means that I have to learn to handle a lot of things on my own.  Yep, it means that I get to make sacrifices, too.  Yep, it means that I sleep alone some nights.  And no, not every woman is cut out for this kind of life.

But, I can say, without a doubt, that I'm never truly alone.  Case in point....my husband was off at a function for a local FD yesterday, and I had to call and tell him the A/C had stopped working.  He wasn't sure when he would be home.  10 minutes later, two other firefighters were at my house to check the A/C and get it working again.  Who does that?  His brothers do.

So, am I ok with what he does?  Definitely!  Do I worry?  Without a doubt.  But, am I one of the luckiest women on the planet?  You bet I am.

So...it's the fire life for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment